Call scripting has a fairly negative image in the profession of sales. Many believe that you should not use any form of scripts and that scripts are for junior-level sales professionals or strictly for telemarketing types of activities. This is not the correct way to view the use of sales scripts as even the most senior level sales person can benefit from using some form of a script and preparation.
Important Point about Call Scripting
One thing that might set us down the wrong path with using sales scripts is that many people picture this process as a sales person writing out everything they need to say word-for-word and reading directly from that when on a call. And when that is done, this process will give off a very poor impression to a prospect.
The reality is that sales scripting does not need to look like this. A very polished and effective way to incorporate call scripts is to script out key questions that you need to ask and powerful statements that you can make when on a call with prospects.
When you have a prepared list of scripted points and questions, you can then use that as a guide when talking to a prospect. In order to make the best impression, you could prepare by being very familiar with the list before talking with a prospect so that you do not need to read directly from it.
How Call Scripting Can Help
The benefits from simply preparing some form or call scripts can be fairly powerful:
- Make a good impression: By being more prepared for what you will say, you will make a better impression when talking with prospects. Of course, this factors in that you do not sound like you are reading from a script. More so that you just know what to say and are prepared and experienced.
- Keep calls going longer: By knowing what to say, you will likely be better at establishing and keeping calls going. You will be better able to think quickly of the next question to ask or the best response to an objection.
- Get the most out of the interaction: If you know what questions to ask, you will likely improve your ability to ask the right questions when talking with prospects. This will help you to get the most out of each interaction in terms of extracting valuable information.
- Produce more leads: When you add up some of the above benefits, it is realistic to see that you will generate more leads by using calls scripts.
- Improve sales performance: If you are consistently able to generate more leads, you could easily see an improvement in your sales performance.
- Improve career path: By improving your sales performance, you could see improvements in your career and personal finances.
- Decrease sales staff turnover: If you are managing sales people, incorporating calls scripts can help you to decrease sales staff turnover. Turnover can be incredibly costly in terms of opportunity costs and hiring and training costs. Simply using sales scripts can decrease all of those costs.